Monday, February 28, 2011

Letter #7 from Elder Mitchell Rhead Sorensen

Hello Everyone!

Greetings from the mission field! This week has been a pretty good week! There is the usual homesickness that I get during study times, but it always leave when I go out and start my missionary work. I guess the reason for that is I'm too busy focusing on praying for safety as I bike than to think of home. Biking has been intense. One night, we had five minutes to get to our apartment, and we were a solid 20 minutes away. My companion, having trained his legs for the past year and a half, thought it would be alright to push it. I tried my best to keep up, but somewhere between dodging taxis, scooters, and hitting a pothole, I failed. He complimented my riding skills, because somehow, we made it back with a minute to spare. I guess you could count that a spiritual experience. Haha. Our investigators are great! We have had 9 investigators come to church the past three weeks in a row! It's always great to see their faces. I haven't been the one to find most of them, but there is one guy that I found, and he is loving the lessons! He is always very willing to meet. He's awesome. So the missionary work is good. The worst part of teaching lessons? When I don't have the vocabulary to teach, so I start to fall asleep when Elder Vance takes the reigns. I deserve "Worst Missionary for Teaching Lessons of Eternity" award. Haha. But I do my best. There have been a few firsts that have happened this week. One of the members of the ward named Yi Zhong, is the first one to compliment on my not so good physique. He loves squeezing my love handles when he sees me. He thinks it's the funniest thing ever. I had my first ice cream. It was soooo good! I don't know how to describe it, but the fruit in it was incredible! Maybe because it was my first ice cream in a month. Who knows. We went to the Zoo today, because it is Elder Vance's birthday tomorrow, and Yi Zhong wanted to take us to the zoo. I decided since it's my half birthday today, I would consider this a gift. The Highlight of the Zoo: We were staring at one of the exhibits, when a few monkeys came out of the forest and onto the path. People were taking pictures of them and having fun watching the monkeys. Out of no where, a man flies into the crowd and starts firing paintballs into the trees to scare the monkeys off. It was bizarre. I think it might be one of those "You had to be there" moments.
I'm still loving Taiwan! One of the negatives is driving past a stinky tofu shack on the side of the road. Rancid. But other than that, it's great. I'm progressing in talking to people, and still striving to help people join this church. I love the impact that this church has on peoples lives. It's great to see the joy that the truthfulness gives people. I still need your prayers, and thank you for the ones that you have already given me! I love you all so much! I look forward to hearing from you!

With All my Love,
Elder Mitchell R. Sorensen

No comments:

Post a Comment